According to the Internet source given below, The South London Palace
, in London Road, Lambeth first opened in December 1860 as The South London Music Hall
and had a capacity of 1,200 people. It was managed originally by James Frederick Tindall and Robert Edwin Villiers. The building was destroyed by fire in March 1869 but was re-erected and reopened in December. The rebuilt theatre could some 4,000 people.
In 1874 it was taken over by J. J. Poole who produced spectacles and ballets. Among his discoveries were Barrington Foote, Connie Gilchrist, and J. J. Dallas. It was Poole who gave Leybourne his nickname of the "lion comique". The Great MacDermott appeared there, singing his "Scamp" song, and Fred Coyne made his last appearance at the South London Palace.
debuted here whilst performing at the The Oxford
and The Pavilion
on the same evening becoming an immediate success. One of it's chairmen was "Baron" Courtney
The Theatre was taken over by Variety Theatres Consolidated Ltd in 1925 but was closed in 1941 after being damaged by German bombs. The Theatre remained closed and was demolished in January 1955. Part of the South Bank University stands on the site of the Theatre today.
||The South London Palace of Varieties
||Description by arthurlloyd.co.uk